Bexacat (Bexagliflozin) Flavored Tablets for Cats
Bexagliflozin, marketed under the brand name Bexacat, is a medication used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. It belongs to a class of drugs called sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. Bexagliflozin works by inhibiting the SGLT2 protein in the kidneys, which helps reduce the reabsorption of glucose from the urine back into the bloodstream. By increasing the excretion of glucose in the urine, it helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Indications: Bexacat is used as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Mechanism of action: Bexagliflozin blocks the SGLT2 protein in the kidneys, thereby reducing the reabsorption of glucose and increasing its excretion in the urine. This mechanism leads to a decrease in blood sugar levels.
- Benefits: By lowering blood glucose levels, Bexacat can help improve glycemic control, potentially reducing the risk of diabetes-related complications.
- Usage: Bexacat is typically taken orally as a tablet, usually once a day. The dosage may vary depending on individual patient factors, and it's important to follow the instructions provided by the prescribing healthcare professional.
- Adverse effects: Like any medication, Bexacat can have side effects. Common side effects may include urinary tract infections, genital mycotic (fungal) infections, increased urination, thirst, hypotension (low blood pressure), and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). It's essential to discuss any concerns or side effects with a healthcare provider.
- Precautions and contraindications: Bexacat should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. It may also be contraindicated in patients with severe renal impairment or end-stage renal disease. Certain other medical conditions and medications may interact with Bexacat, so it's important to inform the prescribing healthcare professional about all existing medical conditions and medications being taken.
- Monitoring: Regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, kidney function, and other relevant parameters is typically recommended during treatment with Bexacat to ensure its efficacy and safety.