View Dextrose 5% & Sodium Chloride Drug Facts Sheet.
The dose is dependent upon the age, weight and clinical condition of the patient.
As reported in the literature, the dosage and constant infusion rate of intravenous dextrose must be selected with caution in pediatric patients, particularly neonates and low birth weight infants, because of the increased risk of hyperglycemia/hypoglycemia.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.
Drug Interactions: Additives may be incompatible. Consult with pharmacist, if available. When introducing additives, use aseptic technique, mix thoroughly and do not store.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
To Open: Tear outer wrap at notch and remove solution container. If supplemental medication is desired, follow directions below before preparing for administration.
To Add Medication:
- Prepare additive port.
- Using aseptic technique and an additive delivery needle of appropriate length, puncture resealable additive port at target area, inner diaphragm and inject. Withdraw needle after injecting medication.
- The additive port may be protected by covering with an additive cap.
- Mix container contents thoroughly.
Preparation for Administration (Use aseptic technique)
- Close flow control clamp of administration set.
- Remove cover from outlet port at bottom of container.
- Insert piercing pin of administration set into port with a twisting motion until the set is firmly seated. NOTE: When using a vented administration set, replace bacterial retentive air filter with piercing pin cover. Insert piercing pin with twisting motion until shoulder of air filter housing rests against the outlet port flange.
- Suspend container from hanger.
- Squeeze and release drip chamber to establish proper fluid level in chamber.
- Attach venipuncture device to set.
- Open clamp to expel air from set and venipuncture device. Close clamp.
- Perform venipuncture.
- Regulate rate of administration with flow control clamp.
WARNING: Do not use flexible container in series connections.