Clarithromycin is an antibiotic and this product contains the medication in an easy to use suspension to give to your pet by mouth. This medication is fruit punch flavored and while it is labeled for humans, is regularly prescribed for pets.
Clarithromycin is known as a macrolide antibiotic. Clarithromycin fights bacterial infections in the body. Clarithromycin works by stopping the bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Clarithromycin is a macrolide antimicrobial indicated for mild to moderate infections caused by designated, susceptible bacteria in the following:
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of clarithromycin and other antibacterial drugs, clarithromycin should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria.
Use this drug as ordered by your doctor. Read all the information given to you. Follow all instructions closely. To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses. Keep taking this drug as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well. Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach. Shake well before use. Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this drug. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure this drug.
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.